Monday, December 13, 2010

1.  Who is the speaker?  What kind of person is s/he?  To whom is s/he speaking?
Bob Marley. A stoner. Everyone.

2.  What is the setting of the poem in time and place?
The setting could be anywhere and could be at any time.


3.  What is the central purpose of the poem?  Does it tell a story, reveal human character, give a vivid impression, express a mood or convey an idea?  List a line or two that supports your choice.
Hes sad and wants to forget about his trouble, and the only thing that can help him forget is red wine.
"Just one thing makes me forget
Red, red wine"


4.  State the central idea or theme of the poem in a sentence.
Red wine is the only thing.


5.  What is the tone of the poem (the speaker's attitude toward the subject of the poem)?  Is he or she sympathetic, excited, angry, pleased, bitter, etc.?  Again, support your position with a line or two.
Sad.
"Red, red wine
Go to my head
Makes me forget that i
Still need her so"


6.  List two especially effective examples of diction (word choice) in the poem.  Explain why they are so effective.

"Red, red wine                           Hes not afraid to explain and say that hes sad and only needs one thing.
Stay close to me
Don't let me be alone
Its tearin' apart
My blue, blue heart"

7.  Choose two examples of effective imagery (language that appeals to the senses) from the poem.
"Red red wine you make me feel so fine
You keep me rocking all of the time."
"Red red wine you make me feel so grand
I feel a million dollars when your just in my hand."


8.  Finally, explain why this poem or lyric speaks to you.  What is it that makes it powerful?  Justify your answer with supporting reasons. 
Im a sensitive person and i have a harder time showing it, but when i listen to this song it makes me feel better about myself because in a way i can relate to his situation. not all the time but only when i feel hurt. What makes it powerful is the way he sings it.

No comments:

Post a Comment